ASUS ROG Flow X13 Supernova – review, release date and price
The ultra-lightweight and compact ASUS ROG Flow X13 Supernova handles any task with ease, whether it’s gaming, streaming or creative work, thanks to its powerful configuration.
- A discrete GeForce GTX graphics card is responsible for the smooth picture in games. Compact and energy efficient, the ROG Flow laptop is a truly mobile device that you can use for business and pleasure, wherever you are.
This is facilitated by the long battery life of up to 10 hours for video playback. To match the laptop itself, the complete 100W charger is also very compact. In addition, charging can be carried out with compatible external batteries via the USB-C connector.
Technical specifications of laptop 2021 ASUS ROG Flow X13 Supernova
- Display: 13.4 “, 1920 × 1200 (Full HD), IPS, touch;
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800HS (8/16 cores / threads, 3.0-4.3 GHz);
- RAM: LPDDR4X SDRAM, 4266 MT/s, 16/32 GB (2 channels);
- Videocard: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q (4 GB GDDR6) and external graphics card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (16 GB GDDR6);
- Storage: SSD NVMe (PCIe 3.0 x4) 512/1024 GB;
- Interface: 1 × USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A, 2 × USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C (DisplayPort), 1 × HDMI; 1 × ROG XG Mobile Interface, 1 × TRS 3.5 mm;
Well, the most important thing in ROG Flow X13, apart from components that are unprecedentedly powerful for this form factor, is the ability to connect the 2021 ROG XG Mobile dock, which contains the latest generation NVIDIA video adapter – the mobile version of the GeForce RTX 3080.
- Recall that the RTX 3080 in a laptop version it differs from desktop video cards of the same name in its own graphicsprocessor: if GA102 chips are sold in a desktop under this brand, then in laptops they are replaced by a second–tier GA104 chip.
Be that as it may, more powerful graphics for mobile PCs today simply do not exist, especially if the GPU can use all the power reserve specified by NVIDIA. It is 150 watts, and as you might guess, only select laptops with appropriate dimensions allow the RTX 3080 to develop this power.
Reviews: ergonomics of ASUS ROG Flow X13 Supernova
The first thing that attracts attention in the design of the ASUS laptop is the screen, or rather its proportions. Unlike most compact ultrabooks that have 14-inch 16: 9 panels, the ROG Flow X13 has a 13.4-inch 16:10 aspect ratio screen.
- As a result, the screen real estate is used more efficiently in work applications, and the bottom padding did not have to be increased to create space for a familiar touchpad size.
The screen is touch-sensitive, which means it is laminated, but in bright light the glass almost does not glare due to the high-quality coating.
ASUS ROG Flow X13 Supernova is a 2-in-1 computer: the screen can be rotated up to 360 ° to turn your laptop into a tablet. The device passed the “MacBook test”: it can be opened with one hand.
Internal structure and upgrade options
The cooling system of ROG Flow X13 is designed as typical for modern ultrabooks. Slots in the bottom of the casing allow cold air to pass to the funnels of the turbine fans, while heated air exits through the grate between the topcase and the screen.
- But due to the high power of the components, something had to be added – another radiator and an exhaust grille on the right side.
The contents of the ROG Flow X13 are packed very tightly. The RAM is soldered on the motherboard – the benefit of the maximum volume of 32 GB is enough for any games and most working applications, and LPDDR4X in the form of SO-DIMM modules does not exist in nature.
The SSD remains discrete, but it is the smallest module in the M.2 standard (2230). Drives larger than 1 TB (as in the top configurations of the ROG Flow X13) are not yet produced in this form factor.
The gaming capabilities of the mobile GeForce GTX 1650 are well known. This video card has enough processing power to run modern titles with medium (and sometimes high) graphics settings and moderate screen resolutions.
In this case, the most interesting thing is how the docking station with the laptop version of the GeForce RTX 3080 will affect the gaming performance.
- Needless to say, the RTX 3080 increases the frame rate significantly. If we compare the test results with what the desktop NVIDIA 3000 series graphics cards are capable of, then the mobile RTX 3080 is similar to the desktop RTX 3060 Ti with the amendment that in games on the ASUS ROG Flow X13 Supernova you will have to use a resolution with aspect ratios of 16:10 in order to to get the best image.
Complete with an external video card, the laptop runs modern games at a resolution of 1920 × 1200 at maximum speeds with an average frame rate of at least 60 FPS and at least 30 FPS at full screen resolution (3840 × 2400).
However, it should be noted that there is no need to run games in 4K on a 13-inch panel. It is better to activate ray tracing where possible – ROG Flow X13 will handle it in “fair” 1920 × 1200 resolution or 4K with DLSS support, although we consider a higher frame rate in 1920 × 1200 mode to be the best choice.
The ASUS ROG Flow X13 is one of the best Ultrabooks on the market today without any hesitation. To begin with, in terms of CPU performance, the older ROG Flow X13 configurations can compete even with large-format laptops with a 15-17-inch screen, not just with conventional ultra-compacts.
- Naturally, the ROG Flow X13 is noisy in the maximum speed mode, but, surprisingly, it is not at all the loudest among such devices. Add to that the decent GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q discrete GPU and generous RAM up to 32GB.
But most importantly, ASUS managed to fundamentally solve the problem of all laptops based on Ryzen processors – the lack of a Thunderbolt interface. Why does ROG Flow X13 need it when direct connection of an external graphics card with eight PCI Express lanes gives twice the bandwidth than Thunderbolt 3/4?
And for the rest of the peripherals, in most cases, USB 3.2 Gen 2 is enough. The set of the external GPU GeForce RTX 3080 and the eight-core Ryzen 5000 series has practically no competitors in terms of performance in games and work applications.
Thanks to the docking station, the ROG Flow X13 achieves the performance level of a decent desktop, and the range of external communications is adequate.
- The mechanics of the ASUS ROG Flow X13 Supernova are also great. For such a filling, this is an amazingly thin and light machine, which did not prevent it from being assembled in a hard case with a truly comfortable keyboard and touchpad.
Perhaps the only thing that deserves criticism in the ROG Flow X13 is not the fastest SSD, but also the screen, more precisely, its settings and software.
The 4K panel in the top laptop configurations has a fairly high brightness and contrast, it has a convenient 16:10 aspect ratio, but the computer does not have a control program or at least a correct ICC profile with which it would be possible to adjust the extended color gamut to the sRGB content while maintaining accurate color reproduction.
- In addition, a sensor with such a high pixel density is not conducive to long battery life. Fortunately, among all the modifications of the ROG Flow X13.
There are options with a 1920 × 1200 screen that meets the sRGB standard and in addition has a refresh rate of 120 Hz, so buyers have a choice: either a 4K panel for professional tasks, which can be calibrated independently, or a high-speed analog for games. Read also my article about the best laptops of 2021