Best laptop for distance learning – how to choose? TOP-3 best laptops
How to choose the best laptop for distance learning in USA in 2021? So, you’re about to start your online classes and want to make sure you have a reliable laptop for distance learning.
Just like any purchase, you want to make sure you are getting the most out of your money. In particular, performance, durability and portability should be top priorities.
- You have to remember once and for all, it is the processor that determines the performance of your laptop. I advise you to take a closer look at the next generation Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 processors.
Remember already, core i3 CPU that was released in 2009 and the one that was made in 2020 are completely different CPUs !!!
The name is the same, but according to the set of instructions and, accordingly, in terms of power, they are different. This is what i mean if you decide to buy a used computer.
Well, remember: best laptop for distance learning is:
- 5.6-inch IPS screen (if less, your eyes will hurt, as you have to peer into small text);
- CPU not lower than a modern Intel core i3;
- Only solid state drive SSD or M.2;
- Video card no worse than NVIDIA GeForce MX250 or 1050;
- At least 4 GB of RAM;
- Windows 10 operating system;
- Good HD webcam (Full HD is better);
- Backlit keyboard (preferred);
- USB 3.0 or 3.1 + HDMI ports;
- LAN port (desirable);
- DVD drive (but you can also without it).
Let’s take a look at each point:
1. 15.6-inch screen is ideal for best laptop for distance learning, all that is less important to me is to look closely and squint, it is inconvenient to watch broadcasts via skype or zoom. But 15.6 or 17.3 is the very thing, believe me. Better is a matte IPS matrix, the eyes will not get tired, and there will be no glare from the matte surface.
2. CPU, i think, should be at least core i3 of the new generation. This is the most important thing in a laptop! If there is a weak Intel celeron or an old AMD Sempron, even installing a fast SSD will not save you, the speed will be limited by the processor.
3. SSD only! Remember this. At 120 GB, right now, it’s not so expensive steel, you can afford it. If you need a lot of space – it is better to have (need to have) an additional external hard drive. Not very expensive laptops are equipped with not very reliable and slow hard drives (HDD). Therefore, if you bought a laptop with the usual hard drive, I advise you to replace it with an SSD, you will not regret it.
4. At first glance, a video card may not seem such an important detail, because a laptop is taken for distance learning, and not for games. But you better think about it. NVIDIA GeForce MX250 is the minimum that should be in your computer.
For many, the remote control is different – for someone they give homework in the form of photo processing or other work in graphic or video editors. And you will not only learn forever…. There will be free time when you want to play a little.
5. Random access memory (RAM – random access memory) – not less than 4 GB. And the point. There will be less – there will be brakes and freezes when you simultaneously open 20 necessary tabs in the browser …. Or work in Adobe Photoshop … Just remember this 4GB minimum. More is better.
6. Well, how can it be without Windows 10 now … Do not listen to those who say that it is supposedly crude and buggy, heavy, etc. This OS appeared back in 2014 … .. Well, what kind of “raw” it is)). There have already been many important and major updates where everything has been fixed for a long time, all the bugs.
The new Windows 10 is about security, convenience (which is worth only two separate screens) and comfort. Old OS – Windows 8.1, Windows 7 – they are simply insecure, not to mention the compatibility problems of various new programs and drivers. And yes, all new laptops only come with 64-bit “ten”.
The webcam is an important point for best laptop for distance learning
7. A webcam should be not just good, but great! After all, you will communicate online with teachers and professors. It is important that they see you well and clearly and you too! Clear visual contact, even through a PC monitor, is important. But “beeches” with such a camera are very expensive, from 60 thousand or more. The main thing here is the laptop itself is good, and the webcam can be bought in Full HD if the built-in one seems insufficient.
8. Well, there are certainly few inexpensive models with a backlit keyboard. It’s just very convenient when you need to type a lot in the dark. It’s just comfortable. If this is not there, then it’s okay.
9. It is desirable that the computer has at least one blue port. USB 3.0 or higher. Imagine that you need to copy a lot of data from a laptop to an external drive, or vice versa. You have 150 GB. For USB 2.0, you will have to wait almost 2 hours. And with USB 3.0, you can copy everything in 30 minutes.
10. Many thin ultrabooks can now be sold without a LAN port. But imagine a situation where you are indoors, and there is only an ethernet cable, there is no wi-fi. You were offered to connect to cable internet. But there is simply nowhere to insert it … .. In general, I would like myself to have this “socket” – it will come in handy, believe me.
11. DVD or Blu-Ray drive. Yes, many will say – why ??? I also think that such things are not needed in the 21st century. BUT! I have had cases when clients did not know what to do. My daughter was given a task and I need to insert this DVD disc…. That is, I mean that it is rare, but still there may be situations when a disk drive is needed.
So here are the top 3 best laptops for distance learning as promised:
1.Laptop Acer Aspire 3 A315-57G – price $ 567.
This wonderful laptop has everything for easy and successful distance learning. There is an SSD, a lot of RAM, a new processor, and a normal video card. But there is no HD webcam.
Here it is unpretentious, the resolution is like on DVD. But for such a price, it is understandable that it is easier to buy a camera separately if there is no money for a laptop with an HD webcam.
2.ASUS VivoBook S15 S533FL – price $ 810.
This is one of the few modern laptops with an HD-Ready webcam (1366 x 720) and costs up to $ 850!. This is a great laptop, great in every way!
- It has all of the points listed above! This is a matte IPS screen, and a new modern processor, and a lot of RAM, there is a 512 GB SSD, and there is a discrete MX250 video card!
There’s even a backlit keyboard. In general, if funds allow, feel free to take this laptop. It is perfect for distance learning! And not only for him. It is suitable for everything for many years to come.
3.MSI GF65 9SEXR-875 – price $ 1000.
Well, for the sophisticated, new, modern, super powerful, with a powerful processor, with a super new and powerful gaming graphics card RTX series ….
- This is a super powerful laptop for everything. It is really suitable just for everything, for learning, for travel, for heavy games, just for EVERYTHING !!!
I would even say that this is a full-fledged replacement for a desktop computer, since in terms of power it is not inferior to desktop PCs for 40-50 tr.
But there is one caveat. This super high performance computer does not have Windows. It comes with Free DOS. Therefore, you need to install Windows 10 yourself or call a computer technician.
- But we must understand that we live in the 21st century, technical progress is very fast and in 2 – 3 years these laptops will no longer seem as powerful as they are now.
Believe me, it is better to take more expensive but better quality and more durable. But as they say, the owner is a master, you can buy for $ 300, but i do not recommend it).
Well, for today, this is the whole review about best laptop for distance learning. Read also my post – Best laptops for college students on a budget.